Webinar in association with Global Solar Council.
As the global economy starts to rebound from the trauma of the pandemic, governments are faced with twin challenges:
- There is a need to turn promises of a green recovery into an effective set of policy instruments that provide financing and support for an unprecedented wave of clean energy investment;
- Public finances have been severely stretched by emergency measures during the pandemic, limiting options to raise new funds.
THE HARD REALITIES:
- In most OECD countries tax on incomes cannot be raised further to repay recovery (it should be reduced instead)
- General progress in terms of redesigning fiscal systems as instruments for environmental and climate policy objectives is insufficient
- Most countries – not only oil exporters – need to move to phase out fossil fuels subsidies that are contributing to significant environmental and climate damage
The cost of green energy sources such as a solar PV have plummeted, but crisis-induced low fossil prices are still damaging their competitiveness
Putting a global price on carbon emissions presents a unique solution for overcoming post-pandemic fiscal stress and boosting the transition to green technologies.
This webinar will:
- Explain why this is the perfect time to expand carbon pricing in the world;
- Examine how it will work;
- Explore the benefits to fiscal regimes, trade, investment and climate policy.
14:00 Introduction and moderation
- Gianni Chianetta – CEO of GSC and President of WCP
14:05 Presentation of WCP
- Attilio Piattelli – Vice President & Secretary General of WCP
14:15 Carbon pricing for solar revolution
- Paul Ekins – Professor of Resources and Environmental Policy and Director, UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources, University College London
14:30 What role for carbon pricing in a green recovery?
- Jonas Teusch – Economist, Tax and the Environment Unit, Centre for Tax Policy and Administration, OECD
14:45 Perspectives of ETS, CBAM, energy taxation in the European Union
- Hans Bergman – Head of Unit B1 – ETS Policy Development & Auctioning, Directorate-General Climate Action, European Commission
15:00 Perspectives of environmental transition in the US Tax System
- Marc Hafstead – Fellow and Director, Carbon Pricing Initiative, Resources for the Future
15:15 Roundtable (moderated by Michele Governatori – Coordinator Scientific Committee of WCP)
- All above speakers
- Stephan Singer – Senior Climate Science and Global Energy Policy Advisor, Climate Action Network
- Min Li – Chief Representative – China, International Emissions Trading Association (IETA)
15:55 Wrap up
16:00 End of Event
- This Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is $2000 off for Cyber Monday — no, that's not a typo Novembre 27, 2022Lenovo has an absolutely incredible deal on the ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10 for ... We check over 250 million products every day for the best prices.
- You can finance this R270,000 bicycle via WesBank, but so far nobody is buying Novembre 27, 2022The Pinarello Dogma F Sram Red Carbon road bike is on the market for R270 ... hand bars, and all those other things also determine the price,” .
- WTO calls for free trade in goods to cope with climate change | Business Standard News Novembre 27, 2022It says about 40 per cent of the cost decline in solar panel systems is ... About 70 carbon-pricing schemes are presently in operation worldwide.
- Minister shares the latest on carbon pricing change - WestCentralOnline Novembre 27, 2022Minister shares the latest on carbon pricing change. Written by Scott Boulton Sunday, Nov 27 2022, 9:00 AM. Oil and gas is among the industries ...
- The 140+ Best Early Cyber Monday Deals of 2022 So Far - The New York Times Novembre 27, 2022Available in Carbon/Topaz. Read our review of the ... Best Buy deal price: $120; street price: $140 ... Amazon deal price: $59; street price: $70.