The world has to reduce global carbon pollution from fossil fuels by 50% in this decade to avoid dangerous climate change impacts on vulnerable communities and nature. A full global move to 100% sustainable renewable energy is necessary by 2050 at the latest, with solar and wind power being the crucial components. Solid carbon pricing and ambitious emissions trading systems are fundamental contributors like other renewable energy financing and policy tools. To keep global warming below 1.5°C, we need a global effort directed at achieving:
- sectoral and tailor-made carbon or energy taxes, addressing highly different abatement costs;
- ETS permit prices of up to €80 – 150 per ton of CO2;
- sectoral targets and standards including energy efficiency and RES.
Stephan Singer, Senior Climate Science and Global Energy Policy Advisor, Climate Action Network. From his speech at the launch webinar of WCP “Carbon pricing as a win-win solution for a green recovery” held on 18th March 2021
Carbon price news worldwide
- Trudeau and Freeland up the ante on a clean economy | CBC News Marzo 29, 2023The Liberals also are moving to shore up the federal carbon price. ... to a low-carbon economy in Canada, it is the availability of low cost, ...
- UBS's crisis-era chief executive returns to oversee Credit Suisse deal - latest updates Marzo 29, 2023European natural gas prices surged to their highest level in more than a week ... Shapps plots 'carbon tax' on foreign imports to protect British ...
- Carbon price drop endangers ETS, Paris Agreement commitments, and exporters | interest.co.nz Marzo 29, 2023Susan Harris says the carbon price needs to go up, gradually, until it hurts. Then, emissions will come down.
- Budget 2023: The Red Green Show - RBC Thought Leadership Marzo 29, 2023New revenue measures and cost efficiencies are worth $24 billion over five ... federal support system that includes carbon pricing at its core, ...
- Australia introduces nature repair market legislation to parliament - Carbon Pulse Marzo 29, 2023News and intelligence on carbon markets, greenhouse gas pricing, and climate policy ... of the independent review of Australia's carbon market.