In 2018, 55% of emissions in OECD and G20 were completely unpriced, while 83% of emissions were not priced at a level reflecting a low-end estimate of their climate costs (EUR 30 per tonne of CO2).
Carbon pricing is more than good climate policy. Among its benefits, it can increase productivity and steer investments into future-proof assets, reduce local pollution, contribute to the mobilization of domestic resources, and help reduce informality. Perhaps more importantly, unlike most other climate policy instruments, carbon pricing generates revenues; in fact, also free allocation of emission allowances is a form of revenue use.
All these reasons should indicate the opportunities developing countries could exploit pricing carbon emissions even when the most advanced economies fall short. Certainly, many countries have taken unprecedented fiscal action in the face of Covid-19 and green stimulus is clearly useful, but more powerful if complemented by gradually increasing carbon prices.
Carbon pricing mechanisms will meet stronger public support if transparency is granted about how the revenues from their implementation will be used, but the best revenue use will always depend on the specific circumstances.
Member of WCP Scientific Committee Jonas Teusch – Economist, Tax and the Environment Unit, Centre for Tax Policy and Administration, OECD. From his speech at the launch webinar of WCP “Carbon pricing as a win-win solution for a green recovery” held on 18th March 2021
- Election 2022:Albanese's small-target Labor now needs a big agenda - AFR Maggio 22, 2022His biggest problem is that his core promise to reverse the cost of ... the existing “safeguard mechanism” that acts as a de facto carbon price, ...
- Greenko to supply green power to ArcelorMittal, Ayana Renewable, 3 states from Kurnool plant Maggio 22, 2022The plant which is being set up at a cost of USD 3 billion is the ... 15 million tonnes (MT) of carbon dioxide, which is equal to the emissions ...
- Election 2022 results: Anthony Albanese must balance expectations with reality Maggio 22, 2022... of endorsing a mechanism with an implicit price on carbon by modifying ... a decade ago when it did a deal with the Greens on a carbon price.
- The Gemini Countryside factory where houses are built | Chester and District Standard Maggio 22, 2022... away factory in Cheshire – and at a fraction of the carbon cost. ... Each open panel timber frame house emits 14,460kg less carbon dioxide ...
- Ripple Pledges $100 Million to Help Save Earth From Climate Change | Cryptoglobe Maggio 22, 2022San Francisco-based FinTech firm Ripple has announced a $100M commitment to "scale and strengthen" global carbon markets.